US 66 in Arizona



Apache-Sitgreaves National Forests
There are a dozen campgrounds in the Greer/Big Lake area managed by the park service through the site.

Dispersed Camping In Arizona’s White Mountain Alpine Ranger District

Petrified Forest National Park


Arizona State Parks

AZ Fish & Wildlife –  Becker Lake Wildlife Area  272 W Main St, Springerville, AZ 85938

AZ Fish & Wildlife – Concho Lake Campground  928-532-3692

AZ Game & Fish – St. Johns Shooting Range – Northeastern Arizona Sportsman Association, St. Johns

Lyman Lake State Park


Apache County ATV Club


St. Johns City Park and Swimming Pool   200-298 W 2nd S, St Johns, AZ 85936  928-337-4517


Casa Malpais RV Park 272 W Main St, Springerville, AZ 85938  928-333-4632

Gristmill Farms RV Park  247 W Main St, Springerville, AZ 85938  480-757-9334

Trails End Mobile Home and RV Park  2375 W 5th S, St Johns, AZ 85936  928-337-1424

St. Johns RV Park & Resort  2135 W 7th St S, St Johns, AZ 85936    928-337-3726



Most recreation options for the public are on Arizona State Trust land as you can see in the map below represented by the blue section squares. Virtually all of the State land has been on a forever lease for cattle grazing. The grazing lease doesn’t preclude the public’s use of the land. Unlike other State or Federal land, even to hike on the Trust land you need a recreation permit and another permit to operate an OHV on the land.

The Recreational Permit allows the authorized permittee limited privileges to use State Trust land for some recreation. Recreation under this permit is limited to: geocaching, hiking, horseback riding, picnics, bicycling, photography, sightseeing and bird watching. Overnight camping is restricted to no more than 14 cumulative days per year. Remote-controlled aircraft (drones) may be operated on State Trust land with a Recreational Permit and in conjunction with applicable local, state, and federal regulations.

Off-Highway Vehicular (OHV) travel on State Trust land is permitted with proper licensing, and is only allowed on existing roads or trails. The OHV Decal authorizes users to traverse State Trust land on existing roads and trails, however it does NOT permit holders of an OHV Decal to recreate, stage or park on Trust land without a Recreational Permit.

You can apply for a permit online here: Recreational Permit Form

The squares are typically a section, i.e. a square mile.  As you can see, the State owns about half of the land and it was chosen to allocate ownership in this checkerboard pattern.


The Department and supporting organizations continually create outdoor programs for the beginner to seasoned sportsmen that teach families about traditional American pastimes.
These programs include hunting, fishing, shooting sports, wildlife viewing, boating, off-highway vehicle riding, and wildlife conservation. Below is a listing of the many programs offered for your enjoyment, so Get Outside Arizona.

Arizona Game and Fish Department Recreation


The closest BLM land is near Kingman.  We have the link below as a reference.

USDOI Bureau of Land Management – Arizona